Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The doings of men


As someone who does not subscribe to religion , I do find it hard to understand many of the actions that happen because of religious beliefs.  I am seeing a lot of news about the animal sacrifice going on in Nepal today and tomorrow.  This is a Hindu festival held every five years to honor Gadhimai, a goddess of power.  Apparently, about 200,000 animals will contribute themselves to this cause over a two day period.  The animals will not be thrown away but will be eaten and their parts used in local industry.   Many animal rights groups are protesting this festival.  I am not sure where I stand on this but I do think it useful to reflect on the fact that in the U.S., approximately 56,000,000 animals will be slaughtered during the same two days (we kill ten billion animals each year).

The animals were here first.

Maybe we could eat a little less meat. 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment