Friday, July 23, 2010

The Decision

The Decision, 2010 Oil on Canvas  26" X 40"

Here is a new painting I just completed, now available at Borsini-Burr Gallery in Montara, CA.  Call Diane toll-free at (877) 712-2111 for more information.
I grew up with rabbits in front of my bedroom window and they played a large part in my early childhood as they do for many of us.  Peter Rabbit by Beatrice Potter and Watership Down by Richard Adams are still favorite books of mine.  Adams once said that he wanted to create something ".....that was real yet unreal at the same time".  What follows is what I was thinking as I conceived this painting and I think Peter Rabbit must have had a similar experience.

As a youngster I was always concerned that decisions were being made for me without my involvement.  Any sensitive, yet proud, rabbit knows these decisions could mean the difference between darkness and light.  Either way, until the decision was made there was a trepidation about what was going on amongst the elders.  In this painting the youngster is perhaps headed for the storm but we are not certain that he hasn't been called back to go in the opposite direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment