Friday, November 25, 2011

Drawing from the hand.


Recently I have been taking a break from painting and doing some sketching.  Here are some detail shots of some of them.  I always like to look at the detail of a pencil line or pastel mark in any artist's work as it seems to me that that is the closest point to where the creativity or energetic flow from the hand meets the paper.  If you can get close enough and remove the element of time, the mark on the paper and the action created in the hand become one and you can actually see the hand moving across the paper.  Looking at any of Leonardo's sketches  (the last one shown below),  500 years seems to disappear in an instant and I can feel like I am looking over his shoulder.  Which is what makes his genius become timeless to me.






No comments:

Post a Comment