Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Blowdown


I just finished this rough sketch of a group of bears raising a tree in a wilderness of a blown down forest.  Although I don't normally show uncompleted work, this seems timely as Memorial Day is not far behind us.  The image is inspired by Joe Rosenthal's photo of the second flag raising on Iwo Jima in Feburary, 1945.  Also, recently my wife and I were doing this very thing after part of a large tree had fallen and knocked down a small redwood on our property. We were able to save the tree and it is thriving.  At the same time, the forest behind the property is being practically clear cut for a lumber harvest.  

I would like to honor all those who have made sacrifice and strive to make our world a more serene and peaceful environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment